It is in the greater area of Ouranoupolis, about forty meters beyond the Mount Athos borderline. It was dedicated to Prophitis Ilias (Prophet Elias) and it must have been founded around the year 991 AC.
During the 11th century AC it was one of the most important monasteries of Mount Athos. Still, in the 12th century it was abandoned and donated from the Emperor Alexios Angelos III to the Monastery Helandariou.
Around 1206, a Frank lord with his soldiers settled in the monastery and marched from there to plunder the monasteries of Mount Athos. After the Pope's interference, in 1211, he was forced to leave the area.
It is the only example of a big Mount Athos Monastery, the plain structure (without any later interventions and additions or obstacles of religious nature) of which we can study.
The excavations works are still running. Visitors are accepted upon request.
For information call +30 2310 285163, +30 23770 71389.